Play at the intersection of hardware & web and make robots. Made in Switzerland.
SumoBot Wifi Setup
1) Download & Install Arduino IDE (Version 1.8.1 at the time of writing)
2) Connect the Board via USB Cable
3) Install ESP8266 Core
Start the Arduino IDE and open the Preferences window.
Enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json into the Additional Board Manager URL field
Open Boards Manager from Tools > Board menu, search for "esp8266", and install the latest esp8266 platform. At the time of this writing, 2.3.0 was the latest version.
From Tools > Board, select the Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 for SumoBot Variant A or NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module) for SumoBot Variant B
From Tools > Port, select /dev/cu/SLAB_USBtoUART for SumoBot Variant A or /dev/cu.wchusbserial1410 for SumoBot Variant B (on the Mac or Linux, on Windows you need to check and select which COM Port was assigned e.g COM3 or COM4)
4) Open StandardFirmataWifi by going to File - Examples - Firmata - StandardFirmataWifi
5) In StandardFirmataWifi remove the comment on Line 85
6) In wificonfig.h, change the SSID on Line 119
char ssid = "Public";
7) In wificonfig.h, change the WPA passphrase on Line 151
char wpa_passphrase = "secret";
8) Use the upload Button to compile and program the Board
9) Open the Serial Monitor from the Tools Menu
10) Press the reset button on the board and watch the Serial Monitor for the IP Address. Write it down, you will need to later to connect to your SumoBot from your PC.